BOOK NOW

Arrival
Nights
 
Rooms Guests  
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome
Welcome

Mini Palace Hotel - Viterbo

Via Santa Maria della Grotticella 2/b
01100 Viterbo, Italy - Phone +39 0761 30 97 42
Fax +39 0761 13 09 742 - Email info@minipalacehotel.com

GPS: 42.4122882, 12.1132996

The city of Viterbo has very ancient origins (it is said that Viterbo derives from the latin name Vetus Urbe, which means Old City), and it has a vast Medieval historical centre, with a few well conserved neighbourhoods, enclosed by the original walls and surrounded by more modern neighbourhoods, except from the west side where you can find thermal and archaeological areas (necropolis of Castel d’Asso, thermal water source of Bullicame).
Viterbo is historically known as the City of the Popes: in the 13th century it was in fact the central location for the Popes and for twenty-four years the Palazzo Papale was the palace where various popes resided and where they were also elected. Pope Alessandro IV decided in 1257 to transfer the Pope’s curia to the city of Viterbo due to the hostile situation in Rome; it lasted until the next pope, Martino IV, elected the 22nd of February 1281, decided to permanently remove the pope’s court from Viterbo.

The city is also famous for the procession of the Macchina di Santa Rosa, a spectacular and traditional event that happens every year the night of September 3rd, in honour of the city’s Saint protector: a bright structure, 30 metres tall and weighing 5200 kg is carried on the shoulders of a hundred men, the carriers of Santa Rosa, through the dark streets of the city. In 2013, this Macchina has been inserted in the UNESCO heritage list as one of the intangible assets of humanity.

In Viterbo is also the home of the Tuscia University, instituted the 18th of April 1979, the national Aviation command of the Army, the School of minor officers of the Army and the School of the marshals of the Air Force.